[LL] “Stan, who won the WSOP Player of the Year award this year?” Leroy the Lion inquired.
[SS] “Mike Gorodinsky. He had eight cashes in Las Vegas and Berlin, including 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 9th place finishes.”
[RR] “Wow, that’s pretty impressive. Did he also sweep all the Player of the Year awards?”
[SS] “On the contrary, he didn’t even finish in the top 50 for Card Player Player of Year!”1
[RR] “How is that possible?”
[SS] “Well, he didn’t accumulate any points outside of the WSOP, and that only fills up a couple months of the year. Also, only three of his WSOP cashes netted him any Card Player points.”
[LL] “So who did the numbers say had the best year?”
[SS] “Anthony Zinno collected 6,632 points, the sixth highest ever, to hold off Joe Kuether and Nick Petrangelo, who also had historically great years. Zinno’s year-high five titles were only one fewer than the record held by John Hoang, Men Nguyen, and Dan Smith.
Card Player Player of the Year – 1997 to 2003
Card Player Player of the Year – 2004 to Present
|2004||Daniel Negreanu||8,764||David Pham||7,068||19.4%|
|2005||Men Nguyen||5,204||John Phan||4,428||14.9%|
|2006||Michael Mizrachi||5,989||Nam Le||5,215||12.9%|
|2007||David Pham||6,562||J.C. Tran||5,748||12.4%|
|2008||John Phan||6,704||David Pham||6,022||10.2%|
|2009||Eric Baldwin||6,994||Cornel Cimpan||5,934||15.2%|
|2010||Tom Marchese||6,738||Dwyte Pilgrim||5,576||17.2%|
|2011||Ben Lamb||6,036||Chris Moorman||5,875||2.7%|
|2012||Greg Merson||5,100||Dan Smith||5,040||1.2%|
|2013||Daniel Negreanu||5,140||Paul Volpe||4,298||16.4%|
|2014||Daniel Colman||5,498||Ami Barer||5,042||8.3%|
|2015||Anthony Zinno||6,632||Joe Kuether||6,070||8.5%|
- Men Nguyen won the award a record four times (1997, 2001, 2003, and 2005).
- T.J. Cloutier (1998 and 2002), David Pham (2000 and 2007), and Daniel Negreanu (2004 and 2013) have won twice each.
- Negreanu outpoint second place by the largest (2004) and third largest (2013) margins. Merson (2012) eked by with the smallest margin.
Here are the all-time records for Points, Titles, and Final Tables with data going back to the rule changes of 2004.
Most Player of the Year Points
- John Pham is the only player to finish in the Top 10 three times. Joseph Cheong, John Hoang, John Juanda, Michael Mizrachi, Daniel Negreanu, Steve O’Dwyer, John Phan, Ole Schemion, Vanessa Selbst, and J.C. Tran have each done it twice.
- Erick Lindgren, Negreanu, John Pham, Erik Seidel, and Tran are the only players to finish in the Top 25 four times. Allen Cunningham, Juanda, Phan, Mizrachi, Men Nguyen, O’Dwyer, and Selbst have each done it three times.
|2004||Can Kim Hua||4,495||5||12||$785,779|
Most Final Tables
- Luong tops this list but is hardly a household name. The Californian has never won a WSOP bracelet, and his biggest cash was $290,792 for a runner-up finish in a WSOP circuit event in 2007.
- While it seems obvious to have another list with the top ten in Winnings, it’s a rather uninteresting list topped by the 2014 and 2012 One Drop winners followed by eight WSOP Main Event champs.
- Gorodinsky’s 2,436 points were only good for 57th place. Zinno, Kuether, Petrangelo, and fourth place finisher Byron Kaverman all more than doubled his total.