[RR] “Phil Hellmuth just won his 14th WSOP bracelet!” Roderick the Rock announced.
[LL] “What did he win it in?” Leroy the Lion asked.
[RR] “Razz, the only game he’s won a bracelet in besides Hold ‘Em. I’ve been rooting for Phil Ivey to catch up, but he’s not even in Las Vegas.”
[LL] “I heard he’s off milking the cash Macau”, Leroy the Lion commented. “He and Negreanu didn’t make a bracelet bet this year, but maybe this news will get him to reschedule his return flight earlier.”
[SS] “Especially since that’s Hellmuth’s third bracelet of the 2010s, pulling him into a tie with Ivey, Matt Matros, Michael Mizrachi, and Dominik Nitsche for the most in the decade”,1 Stan the Stat remarked. “He already had the most in the 1990s (5), and he tied for second most in the 2000s (5, two behind Ivey and tied with Johnny Chan, Layne Flack, Allen Cunningham, and Chris Ferguson).
Not surprisingly, it makes Hellmuth the first player with at least three bracelets in three different decades. Only Doyle Brunson and Johnny Chan have won even two in three decades,2 while only Ivey and Erik Seidel3 have won three in two decades.
Surprisingly, Hellmuth isn’t far off from another record: most years between his first and last bracelets. Brunson won in 1976 and 2005, a range of 29 years. Hellmuth’s bracelets have now spanned 26 years!”
Longest Gap Between First and Last WSOP Bracelets
|Amarillo Slim Preston||1972||1990|
- Daniel Idema added his third WSOP bracelet of the 2010s on June 18, 2015 by winning the $3,000 H.O.R.S.E. tournament. Brian Hastings captured his third on June 20, 2015 by winning the $1,500 10-Game Mix tournament.
- Men Nguyen, Ted Forrest, and David Chiu can join the triple double list with another bracelet by 2019.
- Seidel won four bracelets in two decades (one behind Hellmuth’s record). Ivey could match that this year when he finally shows up in Las Vegas.
- Reese had by far the longest gap, 24 years, between consecutive WSOP bracelets. Lund went 18 years between his only two bracelets and Starla Brodie 16 between hers.
- Hellmuth’s gap is 26 years and 11 days, while Heimowitz’s is somewhere under 26 years and 7 days, but the years of the WSOPs are all that really matter, so consider them even.