[RR] “What other WPT lists do you have?” Roderick the Rock inquired.
[SS] “The end of the season also means the crowning of the WPT Player of the Year1 and the Money Leader”, Stan the Stat responded.
[LL] “What’s the prize for winning Player of the Year?” Leroy the Lion asked.
[SS] “Eternal glory.”2
[LL] “I’d rather be the Money Leader then.”
WPT Players of the Year
WPT Season Money Leaders
|2||Martin de Knijff||$2,728,356||1,000||1||1||1|
[SS] “Some interesting factoids about Players of the Year and Money Leaders:”
- Jaka (VIII), Serock (X), and Pahuja (XII) all won Player of the Year without winning a tournament. Every Money Leader has won at least one event, although winless Tom Marchese lost in Season X by just $27,575 to Sean Jazayeri, and Pahuja trailed Stammen by only $104,119 in Season XII.
- Pahuja (3,450 points in Season XII) crushed Negreanu’s record (2,600 in Season III) for most points in a season by 850.
- Grospellier (Season VII) is the only Money Leader to also win POY.
- Six Money Leaders have been World Championship winners: de Knijff, Le (also won the World Poker Finals), Bartholdi, Mortensen, and Chiu from Seasons II to VI, and Stammen this season (XII). Three (Koroknai, Brooks, and Jazayeri) cashed only once, winning the L.A. Poker Classic, which had a larger 1st prize than the World Championship in Seasons VIII, IX, and X. Grospellier (VII) won Festa Al Lago, Raghavan (XI) and Charania (XIII) won the Five Diamond World Poker Classic, and Hansen (I) won both the L.A. and Five Diamond events.
- No World Championship winner has also won POY although Le (III) and Stammen (XII) both finished second in the POY race. Seasons I, VIII, IX, X, and XI had three different players win the World Championship, POY, and Money titles.
- Jonathan Roy and Paul Volpe both earned enough POY points in Season XI to have at least tied for POY in nine of the twelve seasons but lost to Salsberg by 175 points.
- Stammen’s 2,300 points this season (XII) are the most ever for a World Championship winner and currently ranks seventh all-time.
- Stammen tied the record for most cashes in a season with 6, matching Lee Markholt (VI), Salsberg (XI), Byron Kaverman (XII), and Ronit Chamani (XII) [yes, three of the five were this season]. Negreanu (II) and Nenad Medic (V) cashed five times each.
- Pahuja tied the record for most final tables in a season with 3, matching Phil Ivey (I and III), Lindgren (II), Negreanu (III), John Juanda (III), Smith (IV), Tran (V), and Salsberg (XI).
- Hansen (I), Lederer (I), Lindgren (II), Negreanu (III), and Le (III) are the only players to win two events in a season.
- Five players have finished in the POY Top 10 three times: Antonio Esfandiari (II, IX, & XI), Hansen (I, II, & VI), Ivey (I, III, & VI), Mortensen (III, V, & VIII), and Negreanu (II, III, & V); another twelve have done it twice: Shawn Buchanan (VI & VIII), Cornel Cimpan (VII & VIII), Hoyt Corkins (II & VIII), Freddy Deeb (IV & VII), Alan Goehring (I & IV), Kathy Liebert (I & VII), Little (VI & VII), Michael Mizrachi (III & IV), Marvin Rettenmaier (X & XI), Vivek Rajkumar (VII & IX), and Chino Rheem (VII & XI).
- Hansen is the only player to finish in the Money Top 10 three times (I, II, & VI). Nine players have done it twice: Esfandiari (II & IX), Goehring (I & IV), Ivey (I & VI), Little (VI & VII), Mizrachi (III & IV), Negreanu (II & III), Rajkumar (VII & IX), Rheem (VII & XI), and David Sands (X & XI).
- The WPT website has a thorough explanation of its Player of the Year points system. The Wikipedia World Poker Tour article explains how the points system changed in Season IX. The Global Poker Index has been used since Season XIII.
Anthony Zinno wrapped up the 2015 title on April 27 when Darren Elias busted out of the WPT World Championship.
- Actually, there is a real prize. In 2015, Zinno won a Hublot timepiece, some ground transportation, and food and beverage credits.
- The total of $1,640,053 is the sum of the winnings reported on his Hendon Mob Database page.
- Official, up to date WPT Leaderboards